Wednesday, July 4, 2007

An early image

First of all, welcome to my new blog. I have been inspired lately to write a blog because of the great blog Dave Harvey has been publishing. (www.davidalanharvey.com) For those of you who don't know David's work, please check it out. Dave has been a regular contributor to National Geographic Magazine for years, and continues to be one of the finest photographers on the planet. He is very inspirational and has a lot of good things to say.

The picture here was made by my dad in Germany in 1947. I was three years old and had no idea my mom and dad would divorce soon. I found this picture while at my moms house over the Fourth of July weekend.

It once again reinforced my belief in the power of photography. Photography is the greatest time machine invented. It shows us context, space, and those that love us and have loved us.

My friend Sam Abell, also a fine photographer for years at National Geographic, published a book back in the early nineties entitled "Stay This Moment."

I'm glad that photography has allowed me to "stay this moment."

1 comment:

Sandie said...

Hello Bill, Sandie Claywell here, Joe Montgomery's daughter. I found your blog. I was looking forward to some great pictures. I love this of you and the one with the cross shadow. Are you going to add anymore to this? Are there other ways for me to learn about your photography?

Looking forward to more posts!!!